Diijon and Garlic Ribeye Steaks
- 1 small handful thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 4 Ribeye steaks, 1 inch thick
- Strip the leaves from the thyme sprigs and reserve the sprigs for tossing on the coals later. Finely chop enough of the leaves to give you 2 tablespoons of chopped thyme. Mix the thyme leaves in small bowl with the remaining paste ingredients, including 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Brush the paste evenly over both sides of the steaks. Cover then refrigerate for about 2-4 hours.
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and season evenly with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Leave the steaks to stand at room temperature for 15-30 minutes before cooking.
- Prepare a two-zone fire for high heat (230 - 290°C/ 450-550°F)
- Brush the cooking grate of your BBQ clean. Drain and add the thyme sprigs to the charcoal and put the lid on the barbecue. When smoke appears, grill (direct method) the steaks with the lid closed as much as possible and turning once or twice, until cooked to your desired doneness, 6-8 minutes for medium rare, keeping the lid firmly closed. Remove from the barbecue and leave to rest 3-5 minutes. Serve warm.